When I was a wee child around the age of 10 I went on my first and so far only Ski trip ever. I went with this girl from school and her family who were professional skiing folks. They offered to cover all the expenses & my parents were like sure… ! ha.
We were gone for 4 days- and went to Wintergreen Ski Resort in the mountains in VA. It was a interesting experience and I won’t lie; I was slightly nervous because I had never gone anywhere like that much less traveled with a friend that quite honestly I wasn’t very close to. I’ll sum my time up for you so I can get on to this grand treat of Fancy Hot Chocolate. I didn’t know how to ski. I had no idea how cold it would be to hit the snow again and again and again because I was not coordinated enough to actually make it off the bunny slope. I spent most of the trip with my friend’s Mama shopping on her dime and hanging out at the Lodge where I had to this day the best Hot Chocolate ever. After trying for so long to recreate this which is a long time seeing as I’m 36 now & just finally mastered it. have finally the Hot Chocolate that’s change your life good & definitely made me feel like I was overlooking some beautiful snow as I sipped it.
It’s not your powdered cocoa hot chocolate. It’s rich & creamy & full of dreamy goodness that will make you feel kinda warm & fuzzy.
I’m not kidding.
This isn’t for those of you who are content with SwissMiss. This is almost like a very thin pudding. You are required to make it with Whipped Cream (fresh if you can handle that) and lots of it.
This recipe makes 2 large cups or 4 smaller cups depending on how much you’re in the mood for. I made two for my friend Nicole & myself as we sat in the living room kinda chilly because I didn’t want to turn the heat up & hardwood is always cold. : ) Here’s some things that I personally believe are way important:
- Use good Chocolate. Stick to a 70% cocoa chocolate & chop it yourself. Chocolate chips have fillers that make them chips & do not work as well.
- Have your chocolate chopped at least 85 % finely broken up because it will be harder to melt quickly if not.
- Put lots of whipped cream in your cup! It’s necessary to give it that perfect texture- trust me!
- You may want to keep a spoon because as it cools it’s almost pudding like. (SO GOOD)
1. Measure out your ingredients
2. Put the milk, cream, powdered sugar in a medium sized pot.
3. Wisk it together and let it cook on Medicum until bubbles start to form around the edges.
4. Turn the heat off at this point and pour in the chopped chocolate.
Now you’re ready to immediately serve it! Pour it in your mugs and start loading in the whipped cream! I like to top mine with chocolate shavings because, why not?
So, I know since it’s January and snow is upon us and in some parts coming soon. (Yuck!) This will be perfect to stay cozy with your boo thing or your kiddos or your doggie. They are masters of laziness and warmth! Isn’t it such “sweet” grace that God gives us goodness like this?!
Enjoy & let me know how much you love it!!
All my love.
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, at least 70%, chopped*
- Giant bowl of whipped cream, for serving
- Measure out your ingredients
- Put the milk, cream, powdered sugar in a medium sized pot.
- Wisk it together and let it cook on Medicum until bubbles start to form around the edges.
- Turn the heat off at this point and pour in the chopped chocolate.
- Now you're ready to immediately serve it! Pour it in your mugs and start loading in the whipped cream! I like to top mine with chocolate shavings because, why not?