Caramel Apple Mousse Layer Cake is something fierce, y’all! It’s full of layers of dreamy caramel mousse and apples. Then it’s topped with toasted pecans and MORE caramel drizzle. The filling is change your life good. You may find yourself licking all utensils and being sad that it’s all gone. It’s that good- It’s the perfect cake when October begins. It’s the perfect cake for cardigan weather and I promise you will be so glad you made it.
Caramel Apple Mousse Layer Cake is actually something I make for my tiny baking business sometimes! I usually make the cake from scratch but, decided my readers may prefer a box version since there are already enough steps to this gem. Caramel should be a required part of all Fall baking and it should be used in high quantities! Sigh. I digress.
I think using a box cake mix and stepping up the ingredients really make this perfect for anyone to whip up in their kitchen.
This Caramel Apple Mousse Layer Cake would be delicious over coffee with your girlfriends & it would be amazing to sit on your table this year for Thanksgiving too. I’ve made it to share with a ladies Bible Study and everyone wanted the recipe! It’s the kind of cake that someone will walk up to and say- Oh my Word… and wish dessert was first. The toasted pecans really send it over the top. It’s vital that you toast them though- because, that is what really adds a WOW to the overall happy dance that happens in your mouth!
First things first, Caramel Dip is life.
This stuff is so good that it was hard to not eat it by the spoonful. It’s rich and dreamy and buttery but, I must sacrifice for the love of Caramel Apple Mousse Layer Cake! I am sure any brand you find in the produce section of your grocery store is great! Measure one cup and one cup for two different steps!
I made my cake batter first so that while the cakes bake you can work on the mousse! Make sure you butter and flour your cake pans or this Caramel Apple Mousse Layer Cake will stick!
Once the layers are cool slice as evenly as you can and hopefully you see a lot of apples spread out in your cake and not clumped together!
It’s a beautiful thing, this Caramel Mousse you guys! It tastes like one of the best things you’ll have in your life. I promise.
Your final layer will be the most beautiful of this Caramel Apple Mousse Layer Cake . Your 2nd cup of caramel dip goes on the TOP and final layer. You want to try your best to have it fall over the sides of the cake. I microwave it sometimes.
Cover it with the toasted Pecans & then drizzle caramel dip all over it! I have some caramel sauce that I get from Starbucks that came in handy for the drizzling. But seriously it’s just a spoon and a buncha waving all over the cake!
Caramel Apple Mousse Layer Cake is a show stopper! Are You drooling yet?
Make sure you have enough Mousse in each layer- so it doesn’t look sad like my bottom layers! : )
FYI & What Not:
*let your layers COOL before assembly or you will be crying over the mess and wasted ingredients.
*make this cake 1 night ahead if possible to maintain the most sturdy cake possible when you’re serving to a room-full because slicing impacts the cake’s structure.
*Don’t skip toasting the pecans- this is necessary.
*Don’t let your cream cheese get room temp or the mousse will be runny instead of creamy
*Dice your apples small and as even as possible to achieve the best results
*Share this recipe with a friend because they deserve it in their life!
I want to see this all over your Pinterest boards! I cannot wait to hear how this turns out for you and how much you are in L O V E! Make this caramel apple mousse layer cake for someone dear to your heart and tell them you love them enough to make it for them! Also, some great advice from Julia Child I had to share with you!
All my love-
Keep this Cake in the Fridge until serving time! It's so much better that way!
- Apple Cake:
- 1 spice cake mix
- ¾ cup apple sauce
- ½ cup milk- room temp
- 4 eggs- room temp
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped as evenly as possible (I used Pink Lady)
- Caramel Mousse
- 8 oz cream cheese (Cold)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 16 oz whipped topping, thawed but, COLD
- 1 cup caramel dip
- 1/2 Cup toasted Pecans
- 1 Cup Caramel dip
- Toasted Pecans:
- Spread pecans into cookie sheet as evenly as you can.
- Dust with pinch of salt and bake for 7 minutes on 350 or less time if you can smell them in your house!
- Apple Cake
- Using a large bowl:
- Combine cake mix, apple sauce, milk, eggs and oil using a large spoon or your mixer if you’d prefer.
- Stir in chopped apples.
- Divide batter between two greased, round cake pans – I use 8 inch to gain taller layers but, 9 inch is okay.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven to cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- Turn cakes out onto parchment covered cooling rack until COMPLETELY cool. (2 hours minimum)
- Caramel Mousse
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese.
- Add caramel dip, beat until smooth.
- Beat in powdered sugar.
- Gently fold in whipped topping.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to use but, keep in mind you may need to re-mix if it’s too cold to spread.
- When layers are COOL to touch slice each one in half with serrated knife or a bread knife if you have it. Even as you can but, obv. Perfection not required.
- Spread ¼ of the caramel mousse on each of the 4 layers. So you place a cake layer, then mousse. Cake layer, mousse, cake layer, mousse, cake layer then mousse.
- Use remaining caramel dip to spread over the TOP layer of cake. If you need to heat it up for a tad that’s good! You want to try and let it drip down the side.
- Swirl caramel drizzle lightly on top of caramel dip.
- Now cover the top of the cake with your toasted pecans.
- Finish by Swirling MORE Caramel drizzle on top of pecans
- Keep this cake in the fridge until ready to serve as it’s not able to hold up to warmth due to the mousse sensitivity!
- It will keep for at least a week in the fridge until you finish every crumb, but, I doubt it’ll be there for that long!