Sour Cream Lemon Pie should really be all that I need to introduce this joyful thang. Y’all! This Pie has been on my mind for MONTHS. I kept saying you can’t make it yet- it’s stupid winter and it just doesn’t feel right. I bought Lemons 3 or 4 times to make it and decided to wait &
had to find random ways to use the lemons before they went bad. Seriously, I just wanted to feel RIGHT to make it! Thing is when is it ever not a good day for Pie though? Really, Pie is always good if it’s made well with great ingredients.
I guess the National Pi Day was all I needed to make me get it together! So, I bring you Sour Cream Lemon Pie! This recipe is the perfect amount of lemon tartness with that creamy goodness of real sour cream. I use Breakstones brand because it is the only kind you should ever use. (No one paid me to say that, though if you’d like to do so holler at your girl) It has just the right amount of sugar and milk to bring it all together. It reminds me a lot of lemon curd & if you know how good that is you simply must make this Pie!
For this greatness known as Sour Cream Lemon Pie You will need:
1 Cup of Whole Milk
1/2 Cup of fresh lemon Juice (I used about 2 and 1/2 good size lemons)
1 Tablespoon of Lemon Zest
1 Cup of Granulated Sugar
3 Tablespoons & 1 1/2 teaspoon of Corn Starch
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of unsalted butter cubed kind of room temp
3 egg yolks lightly beaten
8 ounces of sour cream (Use the whole fat version if you want the best result)
9 inch pie crust- Baked. You can buy the already made ones if you want or you can use my recipe at this link:
Let me point out a very FUN thing first: The tea towel in the picture above is beautiful & made by Pip Studio. They have beautiful stuff guys! It’s a baker heaven on their website & I will be giving away one very similar this month! Subscribe today so you don’t miss it! (Giveaway Closed)
I am going to let you read all the directions below in the recipe but, want to point out a few tips:
- Be very mindful of your sugar/milk/cornstarch mixture. It will take a few minutes to start thickening & coming “together” but, when it does it’s quick. You can ruin it easily if you do not watch it and keep wisking ! It’s similar to making pastry cream but, much faster. You want it to look like this and you should take it off the heat!
- Use about 4 tablespoons to temper your egg yolks. I added it 2 tablespoons separately to slowly bring them up to warmth before adding them back into the pan. As a result you don’t ruin the eggs!
- Add your sour cream to the lemon mixture BEFORE it cools completely. You want the sour cream to blend in easily & it makes a big difference in my opinion.
- Don’t worry about the presentation of the Whipped Cream -you can make it beautiful with or without piping and I believe it blends beautifully in any form!
- Let it cool for 2-3 hours before you serve it and be ready to fall in love. I’m talking immediate Smitten-ess.
I hope you make this Sour Cream Lemon Pie soon & I know you’ll love it! Tag your posts with #jenniferbakes and tell me all about it because it’s worthy of all your praise! Happy Pi Day my friends!
PIN THIS RECIPE SO YOU CAN MAKE SUPER SOON! I LOVE HEARING ABOUT YOUR BAKING- SHARE WITH ME & FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM FOR SNEEK PEEKS!