Summer Feta & Orzo Salad is going to be your newest go to recipe when you need to feed a large group. It’s also the perfect dish if you crave something cold that you can pack for a pic-nic. It’s a filling dish and I must say it’s healthy. I am a carb queen y’all & wish that I wasn’t. It’s not the best for consuming in large quantities but, I tend to crave them. I guess that’s a whole other issue, huh?
I really was itching to make something super yummy with this feta cheese I had in the fridge. Also, I have a massive bag of Orzo so ta-da I bring you: Summer Feta Orzo Salad. There are so many ways to use this little pasta in food. My favorite is a cold salad. You honestly probably have some kind of veggies in the fridge this can be done with. It would work with squash or zucchini for sure and I always seem to have those laying around.
When I made this Summer Feta Orzo Salad the sun was blasting into the house & the sweet birds were singing with all my windows open. That sunshine reminded me of this dressing and that is actually how I ended up making this happen! I thought about that dressing I made sometime ago & it all sort of came together. I wanted a Greek-ish version but, I didn’t want olives and such so I kept it fresh & simple. While I love a planned out intense recipe I also love being able to just throw things together without a bunch of steps- especially in the Summer or when I am making something for a potluck or a cook out with friends or family.
The dressing is almost really the star y’all. It’s also super easy to throw together and I will often make a small jar of it and use it all week on lunch salads.
This Summer Feta Orzo Salad is just that; Perfect for gatherings and simple but, so yummy that you want to just eat it right out of the bowl! I hope you’ll make it and start thinking about how many times you can think to make it this Summer. It would also be great for a baby shower or church potluck! This is filling enough to eat as a lunch and also lovely enough to make as a side to a grilled chicken.
FYI & What not:
- You can easily 1/2 this recipe because this makes a Lot.
- I make the dressing the day before to let it have time to marry but, it’s totally fine to make & use immediately.
- Dress the salad right before serving for maximum dressing to pasta ratio
- Feel free to add or take away anything. I think these are all wonderful but, do what works for you.
- Lay out everything and get it ready for mixing because thats the only annoying part of this- organization is great in the kitchen!
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons honey
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- For the Pasta Salad:
- 5 cups cooked orzo pasta (2.5 cups of dry orzo)
- 2 cups de-seeded and coarsely chopped Cucumbers (Peeled if you prefer)
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes or any other tomato you want to dice up
- 1 heaping cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced purple onion
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 can of chick peas rinsed & drained
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Salad Dressing
- I like to make my salad dressings in a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid. If you don’t have a jar, you can also vigorously whisk the mixture in a large bowl.
- In a medium mason jar combine lemon juice, olive oil, shallots, mustard, honey, salt & pepper. Make sure your lid is on tight and shake vigorously until emulsified. Taste and season with more mustard/honey/lemon/seasonings as you prefer. I added a few small red onions also to relax the onion flavor in the salad. Put it aside in the fridge.
- Salad In a large bowl toss together orzo pasta, cucumber, tomatoes, feta cheese, chick peas,onion, and fresh basil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, drizzle in the dressing and mix slightly to combine.
- Taste and season accordingly. Serve immediately.
I hope you make this Summer Feta Orzo Salad & I hope you think of some creative ways to make it yours and tell me all about it! Have a wonderful week my friends!
all my love,